Exemptions from land transfer tax are limited. The main exemptions include:
- certain transfers from an individual to their family business corporation;
- certain transfers of farmed land between family members;
- certain transfers between spouses;
- certain transfers between a trustee and a beneficial owner;
- certain transfers of a life lease from a non-profit organization or a charity.
A deferral of land transfer tax may be available when land is transferred between affiliated corporations, and notice of the transfer is not registered in a land registry office.
For more information about exemptions and deferral of land transfer tax, we refer to a list of land transfer tax bulletins on the Provincial website: Land Transfer Tax Bulletins